The Mississaugua Golf and Country Club is on a site first visited by Governor Sir John Simcoe in 1793.
However, when he and his party paddled up the Credit River, the scene which spread out before them, as they rounded the bend by the present 15th hole was a very different one.
Instead of the beautiful Clubhouse surrounded by rolling fairways and close cropped greens, the Governor and his men saw only the village set in a forest clearing. The present Clubhouse stands only a few yards away from the site of that Indian village and the name of the Club perpetuates that roving band - the Mississauga - a branch of the great Ojibway nation.
This early visit of Governor Simcoe and his wife is commemorated by the mural painting above the fireplace in the entrance lounge of the Clubhouse - the work of Mr. J.W. Beatty, R.C.A.
In the Autumn of 1905 a surrey made its way down the Springfield Road (late renamed Mississauga Road) from the Dundas Highway. The narrow dirt road twisted south, following the path of the Credit River. The trip had a purpose. The Highlands Golf Club, situated just south of Dundas Street, west of Jane Street, in Toronto West, was closing at the end of the season. It had been established in 1901, but was the victim of encroaching development, and the owners of the property had sold the surface rights. A group of enthusiastic members was commissioned to find a country location well outside the city for a new club.
John E. Hall was accompanied by friends John H. Eyer, Charles Pringle and H.P. Richey. The day was warm and the road was dusty. When the men spotted a couple of fruit trees, they halted the surrey to pick some apples. On impulse, Hall jumped a low fence and strode across a broad meadow. He gazed in astonishment at the beautiful scene down the valley, then turned to his friends and shouted, "We've found it!"
"Found what?" they answered back. "Why, our golf course, of course."
Hall returned to the surrey and, impulsively pulling a golf club from his bag, picked up a ball and went back to the top of the hill. He teed up, swung his brassie, and drove the ball far into the valley below.
The farmhouse shown to the right (circa 1906) was used as the first Clubhouse. It overlooked the banks of the Credit River, near the site of the present day Clubhouse. The upper part of the barn was converted into a locker room and men's sleeping quarters.
Construction of the present day Tudor style Clubhouse was started in 1912 and the Clubhouse was occupied in 1913.
Percy Barrett drew up the initial nine-hole course in 1906 while George Cumming laid out the 18-hole course built in 1909. Several changes were made to the layout of the course from the period of 1919 to 1928. Stanley Thompson, an outstanding golf architect and a member of the Club, was instrumental in designing the major modifications made in 1928. Based on the Thompson plan, the course was lengthened by approximately 500 yards by extending the course easterly over the Credit River. This change was instrumental in the course being chosen as the site for the 1931 Canadian Open (won by Walter Hagen).
Mississaugua has grown with the years and the full championship course which extends over 240 acres of property has become famous for its excellence; hosting the Canadian Open on six occasions. In 2001 Mississaugua was host to the prestigious AT&T Canada Senior Open and the Ontario Amateur Championship in 2003 and the Canadian Amateur Championship in the Club's centennial year, 2006.
When the Club was incorporated in 1906, its name was spelled "Mississauga" to reflect the Indian heritage associated with the property. In 1913, the name was legally changed to "Mississaugua," with a "u" inserted before the last letter, but for some unknown reason apart from one recorded instance, the original spelling continued. In the late 1940's the Board resolved the apparent spelling conflict by directing that the 1913 spelling was correct.
In 1959, a six sheet curling rink was added to provide year-round enjoyment for its members.
A tennis section was added in 1978 with the opening of the "Court House" and four fully-lit clay courts, further enhancing the scope of the Club's activities.